Egg White Eats
Egg whites are low in calories, high in protein and – best of all – packaged in cartons! Their convenient carton packaging takes up less space in the fridge, keeps clean-up to a minimum and is extremely recyclable. We gathered a few of our favorite egg white based recipes for you to indulge in:
Angel Food Cake
- 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 3/4 cups white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Toppings of choice (berries, whipped cream, chocolate syrup, etc)
- Beat egg whites until they form stiff peaks, and then add cream of tartar, vanilla extract and lemon juice.
- Sift together flour, sugar, and salt.
- Slowly combine the egg whites with the dry ingredients, and then pour into an ungreased 10 inch tube pan.
- Place cake pan in a cold oven. Turn the oven on; set it to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Cook for about one hour, or until cake is golden brown.
- Invert cake, and allow it to cool in the pan. When thoroughly cooled, remove from pan.
- Garnish it with your favorite toppings
- Don’t forget to recycle the emptied egg white carton!
Veggie Egg White Omelet
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup spinach
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 2 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- Add olive oil to pan; add cherry tomatoes, basil and spinach. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 3-4 minutes or until spinach and basil begin to wilt. Remove tomatoes, basil and spinach mixture from pan. Set aside.
- Pour liquid egg whites into same pan. Cook over medium-low heat, lifting edge of egg whites and pulling them toward center while lifting pan to allow uncooked egg to cover pan. Repeat as needed 1-2 minutes or until egg white mixture is set.
- Spoon spinach, cherry tomato and basil mixture onto omelet, topping with ½ of the cheese; fold omelet in half. Place onto serving plate; sprinkle with additional shredded cheese, if desired.
- Place your emptied egg white carton into your recycling bin.
Classic Meringue Cookies
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 2 1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F (95 degrees C). Butter and flour a baking sheet.
- Whip egg whites until foamy using an electric mixer. Add vanilla and sprinkle in sugar a little at a time, while continuing to whip at medium speed. When the mixture becomes stiff and shiny like satin, stop mixing, and transfer the mixture to a large pastry bag. Pipe the meringue out onto the prepared baking sheet using a decorative tip.
- Place the meringues in the oven and place a wooden spoon handle in the door to keep it from closing all the way. Bake for 3 hours, or until the meringues are dry. Allow cookies to cool.
- Recycle the carton!
These are just a few of our favorite egg white based recipes! What’re yours? Share them with us on Twitter and Facebook, and don’t forget to spread the message #RecycleYourCartons!