Egg White Eats
Egg whites are low in calories, high in protein and – best of all – packaged in cartons! Their convenient carton packaging takes up less space in the fridge, keeps clean-up to a minimum and is extremely recyclable. We gathered a few of our favorite egg white based recipes for you to indulge in:
Angel Food Cake
- 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 3/4 cups white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Toppings of choice (berries, whipped cream, chocolate syrup, etc)
- Beat egg whites until they form stiff peaks, and then add cream of tartar, vanilla extract and lemon juice.
- Sift together flour, sugar, and salt.
- Slowly combine the egg whites with the dry ingredients, and then pour into an ungreased 10 inch tube pan.
- Place cake pan in a cold oven. Turn the oven on; set it to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Cook for about one hour, or until cake is golden brown.
- Invert cake, and allow it to cool in the pan. When thoroughly cooled, remove from pan.
- Garnish it with your favorite toppings
- Don’t forget to recycle the emptied egg white carton!
Veggie Egg White Omelet
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup spinach
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 2 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- Add olive oil to pan; add cherry tomatoes, basil and spinach. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 3-4 minutes or until spinach and basil begin to wilt. Remove tomatoes, basil and spinach mixture from pan. Set aside.
- Pour liquid egg whites into same pan. Cook over medium-low heat, lifting edge of egg whites and pulling them toward center while lifting pan to allow uncooked egg to cover pan. Repeat as needed 1-2 minutes or until egg white mixture is set.
- Spoon spinach, cherry tomato and basil mixture onto omelet, topping with ½ of the cheese; fold omelet in half. Place onto serving plate; sprinkle with additional shredded cheese, if desired.
- Place your emptied egg white carton into your recycling bin.
Classic Meringue Cookies
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 2 1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F (95 degrees C). Butter and flour a baking sheet.
- Whip egg whites until foamy using an electric mixer. Add vanilla and sprinkle in sugar a little at a time, while continuing to whip at medium speed. When the mixture becomes stiff and shiny like satin, stop mixing, and transfer the mixture to a large pastry bag. Pipe the meringue out onto the prepared baking sheet using a decorative tip.
- Place the meringues in the oven and place a wooden spoon handle in the door to keep it from closing all the way. Bake for 3 hours, or until the meringues are dry. Allow cookies to cool.
- Recycle the carton!
READ THIS NEXT
Here are our favorite DIY tricks AND treats.Read more
Trick your mind this October with these delicious, less guilty treatsRead more
ReWall expands manufacturing, increasing demand for recycled food and beverage cartons.Read more