As autumn rolls in, it’s time to take advantage of the sweet and savory produce of the season. From grapes to apples to pumpkins and cucumbers, there are a wide variety of fruits and vegetables in season during the month of September for everyone to enjoy. Here are three of our favorite recipes to satisfy your sweet tooth, inspired by fruits in peak season during September: blueberries, apples and pumpkin (yes, pumpkin is a fruit).
Blueberry Banana Smoothie
1 cup blueberries
1 cup almond milk from a carton
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 cup ice
Simply blend all these ingredients until smooth and enjoy! Don’t be a boo-berry — be sure to toss your almond milk carton in the recycling bin once it’s empty.
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 ½ cups milk from a carton such as Horizon Organic Milk or So Delicious Almond Milk for a dairy alternative
6 tablespoons canned pumpkin puree
- Whisk the dry ingredients together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, pumpkin and egg. Fold this mixture into the dry ingredients.
- Grease a skillet over medium heat and pour 1/4 of a cup of the pancake mixture onto the skillet, cooking each pancake 3-4 minutes per side.
- Serve with your favorite toppings, like butter, whipped cream and maple syrup.
- Place your emptied milk carton into the recycling bin.
Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats
1/3 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup plain yogurt
1/3 cup almond milk from a carton
1 teaspoon chia seeds
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon maple syrup
1 chopped apple
Combine all of the ingredients — except the chopped apple — in a jar, stirring well. Leave the mixture in the refrigerator overnight, or at least five hours. When you’re ready to eat, top with the chopped apple and enjoy! When you’ve finished your almond milk carton, don’t forget to recycle it.
READ THIS NEXT
Today is the last day of January, also known as the month of New Year’s resolutions.Read more